Jesús Velez is the Managing Partner and co-founder of Azsure Abogados. He holds a law degree from the Autonomous University of Madrid and speaks English and French. Qualified in Spain since 1991, he has over 30 years’ experience in insurance law. He has extensive expertise in co-ordinating claims across different jurisdictions, mainly in Spain, the UK, France and Latin America.
Jesús has a solid background in insurance matters, as well as in commercial law.
Recommended by the top legal directories: Legal 500 (2012-2020), Chambers Europe, Expert Guides, Who’s Who Legal, Best Lawyers and Insurance Spain.
He is recognised in the 2020 Best Lawyers guide as one of Spain’s top insurance lawyers.
“Jesus Velez has outstanding legal knowledge. He is client focused, delivering his services with a quiet charm. Whether it is losses in the Spanish market or international cases, he has always delivered excellent service and an end product that has satisfied the stakeholders”
“Jesus Velez has a supreme understanding of the Spanish and Latin American markets”The Legal 500 EMEA 2020
- Advising reinsurance companies, in the London market, on a very high-profile claim worth over 1 billion EUR for environmental damage resulting from a dam failure in Spain. The settlement of the case brought about amendments to Spanish and European legislation.
- Advising insurance companies in a claim against the chairperson of a major company for the alleged bribery of a member of a Spanish political party.
- Defence of the directors of a public company in relation to an alleged link to a corrupt political network involving supposedly fraudulent pension funds amounting to 721 million EUR.
- Providing regular advice to insurance and reinsurance companies on an analysis of coverage, policy wording and the adaptation of policies to Spanish legislation.
- Insurance and reinsurance
- Civil liability
- Business law
- Commercial law
- Employment law
- Regulatory law
- Administrative law
- Construction law
- Real Estate